Your continued use of this website implies consent for usage of cookies. Our cookie policy.

Buying a rod licence - Fishing in Wales

Buying a rod licence

A legal requirement for fishing in freshwater in Wales!

Buying a rod licence – an essential for fishing in freshwater in Wales! 

When do I need a rod licence? 

You need a valid rod licence if you are aged 13 or over and fish for salmon, trout, freshwater fish, smelt or eel in Wales.  

Junior licences (age 13-16) are FREE but you must register. 

Senior (aged 65 or older) and disabled concessions are available. 

You can get a disabled licence if you’ve got a Blue Badge, or you get Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment.

Licenses can be purchased for a calendar year, 8 days or just 1 day.

The rod license price will depend on what you are fishing for and the number of rods you are using.

For example, the cost of a  licence for migratory game fish
 (salmon and sea trout) or for multiple coarse fishing rods will be higher than the standard license.

How can I buy a rod licence? 

You can buy your rod licence online: HERE

The online service is also available in Cymraeg for Welsh speakers

Over the phone – call the Environment Agency on 0344 800 5386 (call charges may apply)

For more information on rod licenses, prices and options, visit Natural Resources Wales (NRW): HERE

You must always carry your rod licence when you’re fishing or you could be prosecuted and fined up to £2,500.